Qualified and Certified Natural Health Professionals and Holistic Therapists are not Medical Doctors (MD’s). We are trained specialists who use non-invasive natural medicine, which could include but are not limited to Psychotherapy and Counselling, Meridian Psychotherapy, Clinical Hypnotherapy, Kinesiology, Chakra and Aura Energy Healing, Reiki, Herbalism, dietary recommendations and/or exercise recommendations, all with the aim to restore the mind, body and spirit, to its natural state of health and wellbeing.
Holistic therapies, as those practiced by me, are safe, non-invasive natural methods of analysing the mind, body and spirit, and deficiencies or imbalances in these areas could cause or contribute to various health problems.
A client should continue to see any medical doctors if they are currently under the care of same, and any prescription medication should not be altered without first consulting the Doctor who recommended it. Nothing said, done, typed, printed or reproduced by me is intended to diagnose, prescribe, treat or take the place of a licensed physician.
The form of medical care provided by me is based on Naturopathic and Holistic Therapies and other supportive principles and practices. However, even the gentlest therapies may cause complications, especially in certain physiological conditions such as pregnancy, lactation, very young children, very elderly patients, those on multiple medications, or those with speciﬁc diseases such as heart, liver, kidney or diabetes. So always provide me with a full medical history. Health risks associated with naturopathic or holistic therapies and/or medical treatment could include, but are not limited to:
- aggravation of pre-existing symptoms;
- allergic reactions to supplements or herbs that are recommended and/or supplied
Any treatment or advice provided by me is not mutually exclusive from any treatment or advice that a client may be receiving, or may in the future receive, from a licensed health care provider.
A client is at liberty and encouraged to seek or continue seeking medical care from a medical doctor.
I do not, nor will ever suggest or advise a client to refrain from seeking or following the directions of another licensed health care provider.
Also note that the treatment and therapies I offer or recommend may be different than those usually offered by a medical doctor or other licensed health care provider/s.
Although I will endeavour to answer any questions that I have to the best of my ability, but, as with any type of treatment, results cannot be guaranteed, and I may not be able to anticipate and/or explain all risks and complications involved.
I do not discriminate against any person because of race, colour, national origin, sex, income, age, religion, creed, marital status, sexual orientation, or the presence of any physical, mental, or sensory disability. No person shall on the grounds of race, colour, national origin, sex, or age be excluded from participation in any therapeutic treatments provided by me.
I am bound by a professional code of ethics to protect my clients’ rights to confidential communication. All issues discussed in the course of therapeutic treatment are strictly confidential (including children age 14 years and older). By law, information regarding therapeutic treatment pertaining to you may be released only with your written consent or the consent of a parent or legal guardian. For this reason, if you want me to release information about your participation in therapy, you will be asked to sign a “Release of Information,” valid for ninety (90) days from the date of signature.
The law, however, does provide exceptions to client confidentiality where information may be released without your consent, these being:
- in the event of a medical emergency information deemed necessary for treatment may be released;
- in the event of a threat of harm to oneself or someone else, if that threat is perceived to be serious, the proper individuals must be contacted. This may include the individual against whom a threat is made;
- in the event of suspected abuse of a child, dependent adult or elder, the proper authorities must be contacted. The abuse does not have to be personally witnessed by me;
- if you register a complaint against me, information will be released as requested or required by the Government to resolve the issue;
- if ordered by a judge or other judicial officers, information regarding your treatment must be disclosed;
- as a Professional Therapist, I am not required to treat as confidential a communication that reveals the contemplation or commission of a crime or harmful act;
- evidence that a minor client was a victim of a crime may be released to the proper authorities.
Records, Review & Correction
I keep records of the therapy treatments provided to you. A client has a right, by law, to see and copy their records and to make corrections thereto, at a fee.
IMPORTANT: Emails are not a confidential method of communicating medical information.
Email communication is appropriate:
- to clarify instructions or ask a question about recommendations made during your office visit.
- to ask questions that don’t require discussion.
Email communication is not appropriate for:
- communicating urgent or emergency information.
- asking for opinion or discussion of a new health issue not yet evaluated in-office.
Other points to be aware of:
- email communication does not take the place of an office visit. If you think you need to be seen, please book an appointment.
- staff other than myself may check the inbox to handle routine matters and may read your email communication.
- it is important to keep in mind that, although you may send an email at a certain time, it may not arrive immediately in my email inbox, and there may be a delay before I can check and read emails.
- Emails are generally not checked over the weekend or holidays.
Telephone support is to assist in clarifying recommendations made during an office visit. Telephone conversations that cover new material or require an extended amount of time will be billed at the same rate as an office visit.
Please give at least 24 hours’ notice if you need to cancel or reschedule an appointment. Late cancellations will be billed as follows: R250 for a new client visit and R200 for a follow-up visit. Missed appointments will be billed in full. I am willing to make exceptions for an emergency or unforeseeable circumstance.
I do not treat a client under the following conditions:
- When a client is undergoing medical treatment without the express consent of the client’s medical practitioner.
- an improperly diagnosed neurosis;
- a condition brought on by alcohol, drugs, or other addictive medium;
- a condition which is a side effect of prescription medicine and therefore the proper domain of the client’s medical practitioner;
- Some manifestations of depressive illness, epilepsy, and some breathing problems.